The Handbook doc on "pkg" is badly out of date

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Jan 15 22:05:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>> The mysterious messages were due to a a default configuration file which I think is not installed with the latest version of pkg.
>
> It was in the "pkg" I got this morning, which reminded me of this sad workflow.

I installed the port.  I don't know how often the packages are updated.

>> I switched a 9.2 system over to pkg a couple of days ago, and did what the Handbook says--really, just install pkg and run pkg2ng--and did not see those messages.
>

> You might have this backwards. I'm pretty sure that the handbook shows the old configuration information, and the Wiki shows the new.

I don't understand how.  The Handbook mentions pkg.conf but does not
show any entries for it, while the wiki shows a sample file.  Again, I
believe the file changed, and it was the presence of the obsolete
version that caused the messages.  The current port only installs
pkg.conf.sample.

Maybe it would help to be more specific: what needs to be changed in the
Handbook version?  Without pkg.conf, the current version of pkg does not
complain, so that seems okay.