handbook virtualization-guest turn ACPI off for Virtual PC

Franz Prilmeier le.sir.loxley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 21:27:18 UTC 2014

Hello,
I was just installing FreeBSD from the image
FreeBSD-10.1-RELEASE-i386-dvd1
as a guest OS on a virtual PC (Windows 7).

The installation didn't work right out of the box; I started from the
DVD and I got:
(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 00 00 11 aa 16 00 00 01 00
(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): CAM status: Command timeout
(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): Retrying command
[... looping]

May I suggest to add a little comment in
handbook/virtualization-guest.html
about turning ACPI support off? - I don't believe this is a FreeBSD
bug, but rather a Virtual PC 'inconvenience'

The problem is mentioned here
handbook/bsdinstall-install-trouble.html
but since there is a dedicated page about Virtual PC it might be
easier to find this information there.

Thanks and best regards,
Franz