stale Handbook chapters online need to be removed

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 8 04:18:45 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 10:01:06PM -0600, Mike Brown wrote:
> Old but still sitting around, showing up in search engine results:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/smtp-dialup.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/smtp-auth.html
>
> Current versions:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/SMTP-Auth.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/SMTP-dialup.html
>
> I didn't look, but there may be other examples where the capitalization
> of the file names changed.
>
> The old files should be deleted, and the web server should be configured to
> permanently redirect the old URLs to the new.
>
> Do I need to file a PR, or is this message sufficient?

Please file a PR.

The explanation of "why" is that the machines that do the doc build for
publication on the website don't have a way to clean up files that have
been moved/renamed.

I'm looking at a way to solve this, by basically doing the build in one
directory and syncing the built files with the public-facing web root
directory (probably something like 'rsync -aH --delete').

Let me know the PR number, so I can assign it to myself.

Thank you for the report.

Glen