About installing software on FreeBSD

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 31 11:36:14 UTC 2013

On 10/31/13 11:24, Hung Son Nguyen wrote:
> Can I install software on Jail without entering the Jail?
> Because I plan to write a shell script that can automatically create jail
> with java and sql installed. Through documentation on the internet, I see
> some instructions about installing software on FreeBSD Jail but I have to
> enter Jail.
>
> I expected to listen your supports as soon as possible.

This is a question more for the freebsd-questions at .... list ratherthan
freebsd-doc at ..., but never mind.

Yes, it is possible to install software in a jail from the host system.
It's easiest to do with pkg(8) -- see the description of the '-j' flag
in pkg(8).

You can do this in various other ways, but it is rather more fiddly and
involves setting a bunch of environment variables and so forth.

	Cheers,

	Matthew