About FreeBSD.org visitors

Royce Williams royce at tycho.org
Thu Oct 3 15:24:30 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:

> Here is an overview of the people that visit FreeBSD.org:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/Report-10.01.pdf
>
> Some takeaways:
>
> - More than half (60%) the people that come to our website leave
> without going to another page (called 'bouncing').  However these
> users spend more time than any other user per page.
> - Non-bouncing users had an average of just over 4 pages per session
> but spent about an average of 0.86/s per page.  They spend most of
> their time on the last page.

This seems normal; they drill down until they find what they want, use
it, and then leave.

> From these I think we can take away that most people come looking for
> something very specific.
> How can we fix this? Better search maybe?  Improved navigation bar?
> Its up to you to work on this.
>
> - New users spend a lot *less* time on the site than repeat visitors.
>
> Do we need better advocacy data?  Less text to confuse new users?  Is
> this trend specific to FreeBSD or is it true across the board?
>
> - Internet Explorer is 10% of our traffic.
>
> Many of ours users use Windows as there primary desktop platform.
> Probably more if we include not-IE on Windows.
>
> What other insights do you see?
> What other data might be helpful for us?

Specifics of which end pages are the popular ones would be
enlightening.  If we can put ourselves in the shoes of people going to
specific pages, we can work on highlighting other content that's
useful for their use cases.

GA used to provide a graph that showed actual flows, with thicker and
thinner flow arrows based on percentage of traffic.  Is that still
available?

Royce