docs/178221: Addition to handbook jails chapter: warning about make deinstall

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-lists at be-well.ilk.org
Fri May 3 20:16:55 UTC 2013

Brandon Thomson <bt at brandonthomson.com> writes:

> The following reply was made to PR docs/178221; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Brandon Thomson <bt at brandonthomson.com>
> To: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: docs/178221: Addition to handbook jails chapter: warning about
>  make deinstall
> Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 04:48:04 +0000
>  However, the point of this issue is that PREFIX also needs to be set when
>  running "make deinstall" *inside* the jail environment. If you don't set PREFIX,
>  you will run into the error described in [2].

I apologize; not having used that Handbook chapter's method for setting
up jails, I misunderstood parts of it. At least.

>  Note that the host's /usr/jails/s/myjail should be mounted to /s inside the
>  jail, so the PREFIX inside the jail is: /s/usr-local.

Okay, I've got it. I'm still unsure about the Handbook change; more on
that later.

>  Hope that makes sense! Jail paths can be really confusing :(

In setting up a jail, you get a lot (nearly complete) freedom in setting
up the paths any way you want. For mounting many of the filesystem
read-only and sharing the underlying copies between multiple jails, you
necessarily end up with aliases for a number of paths.

>  I suppose it's also possible that both myself and the original poster in [2]
>  have failed to follow the instructions in [1] correctly in some way that is
>  causing this issue to arise, but that seems unlikely to me.

I may still be wrong, but if so I'm about to be wrong in a new way.

It seems to me that the Handbook advice includes linking the
/s/usr-local onto /usr/local inside the jail.  This is highly desirable
for regular users because having /usr/local/bin in a PATH works just
like on a real system. If you have that working, then I don't *think*
you should need to set PREFIX either.

My apologies again for shooting from the hip.