Request for Review: pkgng documentation for the Handbook

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 16 19:34:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:42:03AM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> >> "Existing FreeBSD installations require conversion of the pkg_install
> >> package database"
> >> pkg_install should be a man page ref.
> >
> > There actually is no pkg_install manual page.
>
> Doh.  My thinking is that having the link would help the reader see what
> the old package tools did to compare with the new.  It also would look
> different from the rendering of <command>.  In other words, show the
> commands the reader will use with <command>, and the old pkg_ commands
> as man page refs.

Ah, I see what you mean.  I'll make some tweaks for this.

> >> "Configuring the pkgng Environment" is kind of confusing, and could be
> >> simplified.  Is it necessary to mention the environment variable at all?
> >>
> >>    The pkgng package management system uses a package repository for most
> >>    operations.  The default package repository location is
> >>    defined in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf or the PACKAGESITE environment
> >>    variable which overrides the configuration file.
> >>

> > Looks good to me.  Thanks.
>
> It would be better without the environment variable, just end the
> sentence before "or".

Personally, I feel PACKAGESITE should be mentioned as an environment
variable, because pkg_* users that expect that to work should know that
it does.

Glen