Tidy and HTML tab spacing

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 27 06:51:23 UTC 2012

Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote
  in <alpine.BSF.2.00.1201262148480.25316 at wonkity.com>:

wb> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Hiroki Sato wrote:
wb>
wb> > Changes look good to me, but it is better to use something like this
wb> >
wb> > REINPLACE_TABS_CMD?=${SED} -i -e 's/	/\	/g'
wb> >
wb> > in doc.common.mk (with some comments explaining this is a hack to
wb> > preserve literal tab characters) and use it in these three.
wb>
wb> Revised patch attached (for real, this time).  Only lightly tested but
wb> no problems noticed.
wb>
wb> On Windows XP, IE8 and Firefox 9 render the tabs in the new version
wb> correctly.
wb>
wb>
wb> There is another issue: PDFs.  A PDF version with the patch above is
wb> at http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/porters/book.pdf.bz2
wb>
wb> Actual tabs come out as a single space in the PDF.  Compare that with
wb> the unpatched tabs-to-spaces version at
wb> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/book.pdf.bz2
wb>
wb> ...which still isn't quite right.  Tabs at the beginning of lines are
wb> removed.  (That file has not been rebuilt in quite a while, either.)
wb>
wb> I'm thinking the conversion will be different with DocBook XML,
wb> possibly more correct.  There are other problems with the current PDFs
wb> that might also be cured.
wb>
wb> As far as the other formats, book.txt looks somewhat okay, but I've
wb> honestly never looked at the .txt or .rtf formats before.

 Ah, okay.  It is due to the DSSSL processor.  Jade and OpenJade do
 not implement expand-tabs: characteristics in paragraph flow object
 class.

 I think the attached patch should fix the issue in the PDF format.
 Could you test it?

-- Hiroki