bsdinstall partition editor Handbook chapter

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Sep 29 20:26:03 UTC 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>> Hello.  I'm sending you this because your name is in comments in the
>> Handbook's bsdinstall chapter as "hopefully will be rewriting" the
>> Allocating Disk Space section.  That's in Glen Barber's repository at
>>
>>  http://code.google.com/p/freebsd9-documentation/source/list
>>
>> I'm hoping you haven't done that, because I got stupid and motivated (rarely
>> a good combination) and slapped together a preliminary version of a
>> replacement section.
>>
>> If you have already done work on it, I apologize, and maybe some of the
>> stuff I've done can be reused.
>
>    I've been swamped enough that I haven't had an opportunity to work
> on it... but I have screenshots that you could use if you like (I've
> been saying I'll post them for a while, but I'll really post them
> tonight).
>    I'd be more than happy to review the directions -- especially the
> shell one because there are some caveats that you have to watch out
> for.

By happy coincidence, mine mentions the shell interface but doesn't
go into it.  Didn't think there were any catches, but maybe
kern.geom.debugflags and other settings are not already done.

I made a bunch of screenshots, but only used a few.

A quick hack of just the bsdinstall chapter is temporarily at
   http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/freebsd9/book.html

Please ignore the missing stylesheets and sections that haven't been
updated yet.  Also, I've only worked on the Pre-Installation and
Allocating Disk Space sections so far.