FreeBSD Handbook sec. 26.2 (freebsd-update) missing info

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Sat Sep 3 22:38:22 UTC 2011

Hello,

Section 26.2 of the FreeBSD Handbook[1] says "The latest version of
freebsd-update may be installed by downloading the tar and gzip'd package from
the above URL and installed with the following commands:"

However, there's no URL above this. There's a link to the man page, and a link
to the http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/ page, but neither of those has
freebsd-update-upgrade.tgz on them.

This should be fixed.

Also, the phrase "For all current releases, downloading the latest version is
not required" maybe should be moved up before the download instructions so
that it comes before the implication that the download is necessary.

And I'm not really clear on whether I need it. I have 8.0-STABLE, last updated
a while ago (not long after the 2009-12-03 security update to the utility). Is
this a "current release" that means I don't need to update the utility?

Let me know. Thanks!

[1] at <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-freebsdupdate.html>