Happy birthday, docs/45303!

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Oct 31 23:40:15 UTC 2011

Dear docs/45303,

It seems like only yesterday that I noticed you liked to run like a
lemming all the way to the right border of the page and then jump off
the precipice.  I wrote about it in

Your parents, SGML and XSL (and uncle TeX!) were sure it was just a
phase, not some kind of balance problem, and that you'd grow out of it
eventually.

Now here it is, only two weeks until your ninth birthday.  Happy
birthday!  Instead of a traditional gift, I've decided to ask a group of
experts to help diagnose and hopefully solve your
sprinting-off-to-the-right and leaping-off-the-edge problem.

For an example, I'll show them the table on page 12 of
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/book.pdf.bz2

It's a pretty technical problem, but these people are very sharp and
care about details and correctness.  Don't be embarrassed!  If any of
them is familiar with the stylesheets and rendering methods, they might
be able to take a look and make suggestions, or it may be one of those
things where someone with just the right expertise leans in and says
"oh, sure, just do this" and it's fixed.  Or maybe it's not something
that can be fixed.  That's okay too, everyone has things they have to
learn to live with.

I've also enclosed the traditional gift for other people's
nine-year-olds... a really loud whistle.  Happy birthday!