Conversion to SVN

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 9 11:59:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 10/07/2011 14:15, Gavin Atkinson wrote:

> > The more I think about this, the less I like the idea.  I really don't
> > like the idea of having revision numbers which no longer increase with
> > commit date (i.e. having revisions 1-250,000 correspond to the existing
> > src tree, 250,000-300,000 being the imported doc tree, and then the
> > combined repo being 300,001 onwards).
>
> I'm sorry, I don't understand your concern here. The commit ids
> increment monotonically in svn, and the number is global to the whole
> repo. Given that the individual files won't be increasing to a
> deterministic value, I don't understand why we care what the actual
> number is.

I don't like the idea that r226166 can be a change from 10 minutes ago,
and r226167 would be a change from 1994.

> I'm still not sure I understand this, sorry. :)
>
> > Combining doc and www more closely, however, I do see the benefit of.
> > However, currently we don't (and have no need to) branch the www tree with
> > each release.  If we combine them, we would be - even though we probably
> > don't wish to.
>
> I think we should give more thought to the structure. I'd like to see
> one doc/ directory, with what's in doc and www now both. But we may need
> to think harder about what parts we may want to branch, and what parts
> we don't.

Given that moving directories is a cheap process in SVN, I'm tending
towards feeling that rearranging the repo can be done after the
conversion, and not necessarily during.

> > It may actually be easier, as all the infrastructure from the src repo can
> > possibly be reused easily.  Combining them may be harder as more work
> > would presumably need to be done on sorting out ACLs for src and doc
> > committers, etc?
>
> Effectively the administrative separation that we have now is on the
> honor system, and it's worked well ever since we branched the original
> CVS repository. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't continue to work.

Indeed, but we still maintain a nominal distinction between src, doc and
ports committers, meaning that when somebody commits to a different
repository this gets flagged in the commit message.  I'm working on the
assumption that the distinction between different commit bits will remain.

Gavin