Conversion to SVN

Ulrich Spörlein uqs at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 8 09:13:10 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 11:03:51 +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 04:17:07PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

> > > The more I think about this, the less I like the idea.  I really don't
> > > like the idea of having revision numbers which no longer increase with
> > > commit date (i.e. having revisions 1-250,000 correspond to the existing
> > > src tree, 250,000-300,000 being the imported doc tree, and then the
> > > combined repo being 300,001 onwards).
> >
> > I'm sorry, I don't understand your concern here. The commit ids
> > increment monotonically in svn, and the number is global to the whole
> > repo. Given that the individual files won't be increasing to a
> > deterministic value, I don't understand why we care what the actual
> > number is.
> >
> [...]
>
> Till now, in this thread, no one really thought about translators.
> Having many version of the same doc will kill translators effort cause
> they could not follow.  It's already difficult to follow the current doc
> tree, so I imagine what will happen when there will be a -CURRENT,
> -STABLE, -WHATEVER branch to follow...

Thanks for bringing up another view on this. If we decide to go from 1
branch to N branches, the bets are really off as to how big N is going
to be ...

> The other concern is about the numbers mentioned above, if you use to
> translate docs, the current CVS numbering scheme is really interesting
> to follow revision of one file, with SVN we'll loose that.

Would merge properties help to track which revisions of the original
docs have been "merged" into Dutch, German, etc? That way you can use
the svn mergeinfo --show-revs=eligible /path to give you a list of
revisions to look at.

> This said I'm not against a VCS change but it should be done in a wise
> way and not to add things that we could not support cause of lack of
> manpower or interest.  And before doing the change, some things should
> be done: complete separation between release docs and doc/, a possible
> move from SGML to XML, a trim or update of outdated things, a move from
> teTeX to a more modern LaTeX (if XML tools allow it), etc.  Well, a lot
> of work...

I think that the move to SVN should be done *before* the move to XML, or
the split of release docs, as we can track file renames better in SVN
than in CVS of course.

Cheers,
Uli