Conversion to SVN

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 7 23:02:18 UTC 2011

On 10/07/2011 12:36, David Romano wrote:
> I'm a new kid on the block but I'm curious why git is being overlooked
> for the new repository.

In no particular order:

* We now have fairly substantial experience with svn for src/, and while
it's not perfect, it has met our needs fairly well.

* The FreeBSD development model is really focused on a "central"
repository. While you can emulate that in git, you can't recreate it
feature-for-feature (or bug-for-bug for that matter).

* git lacks features that we like to have, such as sequential versioning
and RCS-style $Id tags.

* Several git experts are already working on git hubs for src/ so that
the people who work well with git will have the ability to do that.

I think it's probably safe at this point to assume that the choice to
stick with svn is a done deal.

Doug

			-- OK Go