Conversion to SVN

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 20:25:50 UTC 2011

On 7 Oct 2011 20:57, "David Romano" <unobe at cpan.org> wrote:

> On 10/07/2011 07:13, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
>>
>> it looks like I'm not the only one thinking about moving the doc/www
>> repos from CVS to SVN, and other people actually have not only thought
>> about it but already played around with conversions.
>>
>> gavin did some preliminary conversions and it turns out that we end up
>> with ~50k revisions and about 650MB of changes (IIRC). There are also
>> lots of weird branches, so perhaps we could size that down a bit.
>>
>> What I, personally, would like to see is us using the same svn repo as
>> src. That means we would have to stop svn.freebsd.org for the
>> conversion, turn off email sending, dump 50k revisions into it (under
>> /doc and /www perhaps? where should branches/tags end up?), then turn
>> everything back on.
>>
>> I haven't really thought that through to the end, but setting up a
>> separate svn repo just seems silly to me and is another administrative
>> overhead. ports might be special enough (due to sheer size) to justify a
>> separate repo/machine, but not doc/www.
>>
>> Please discuss and share your experiments and thoughts.
>
> I'm a new kid on the block but I'm curious why git is being overlooked for
the new repository. Just because it's a distributed VCS doesn't mean that it
can't be used like SVN. I started with SVN, then moved to SVK for a spell,
and dabbled in darcs before I tried out git. In my experience as a
developer, it's been much easier to merge changes and keep track of
branches/tags. Branching/tagging isn't an expensive operation in git because
git focuses on content changes, not file changes. Not to get too off-base,
but this can *definitely* help with having clear documentation for a
specific version of FBSD. There is currently a FBSD git repo for src/ and
ports/ hosted on github.com if some developers haven't heard of it and are
interested in seeing how its capabilities can help the FBSD community.

Basically we like sequential versioning, which git doesn't do too well (at
all)

Chris.