docs/86342: bikeshed entry of Handbook is wrong

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Feb 26 00:04:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 07:40:10PM +0000, Mikhail T. wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR docs/86342; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: "Mikhail T." <mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com>
> To: Eitan Adler <eadler at freebsd.org>
> Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: docs/86342: bikeshed entry of Handbook is wrong
> Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 14:09:24 -0500
>
>  On 25.02.2011 13:50, Eitan Adler wrote:
>  > +	transportation.  However, in&os; parlance, the word is
>  Actually, if no other operating system's community has this particular
>  concept defined, perhaps, we should explicitly use "FreeBSD" here,
>  rather than the variable &os;? Yours,

The term is widely used this way outside of the FreeBSD community,
despite the fact the first reference to it in online discussion that I
have discovered was on a FreeBSD list.  In fact, if anything, it would be
more accurate to extend reference to the concept beyond the realm of
operating systems and into other realms, rather than doing the opposite
by limiting it to a particular bikeshed.

On the other hand, I do not think either change -- nor keeping it the
same -- would have any substantive effect on the quality of the document,
and any debates that might arise would amount to little more than a quite
ironic battle over the ultimate color of the bikeshed.  Who cares?