PXE Booting with an NFS root file system

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 06:30:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A few years ago, I needed to set up a PXE boot with NFS root file
> system for FreeBSD.  I found
> the FreeBSD docs for setting this up scattered all over the place, and it
> took me a while to figure everything out how to set up
> all the individual pieces, debug it, and get things working.
>
> I captured my notes in this text file:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/pxe/freebsd-pxe.txt
>
> I would like to contribute this back to the FreeBSD Documentation project as
> a new section of the FreeBSD Handbook.  This is my first attempt
> at SGML Docbook:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/doc/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-pxe-nfs.html
>
> and the patch is here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/nfs-pxe.diff.txt
>

> Can I get some feedback on this?  If it is OK, can I commit it?  I
> don't normally commit to src/doc.

A lot of this document could point to other documentation, in particular:

- http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/boot.html
- http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.htmlC
- http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-inetd.html
- http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-dhcp.html

31.8.1:

5. Assuming that inetd.conf is vanilla, all you need to do is uncomment
    the line with '^#tftp' in it.

9. mergemaster does some magic that make distribution doesn't.

31.8.3:

1. isc-dhcp30-server is no longer available in ports / as a package. It
    should be isc-dhcp31-server, isc-dhcp41-server, or isc-dhcp42-server.

31.8.4:

- Should suggest that users read loader(8).

Thanks!
-Garrett