Swedish Translation

Joel Dahl joel at vnode.se
Sat Aug 20 07:48:46 UTC 2011

On 19-08-2011 22:19, Martin Pola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to help translating the FreeBSD Handbook to Swedish. Is that
> possible, and if yes, where do I start?

Hi Martin,

If you want to start a translation project, check out the FDP Primer
(available on the FreeBSD.org website).  It probably has all the information
you want about translating our documentation to other languages.

Translating the handbook is a significant project though, and it'll consume
a large amount of your free time.  I was also considering translating the
handbook into Swedish when I joined the project back in 2005, but decided
that it probably would be a huge waste of time.  Reading/writing in English
isn't such a huge problem in Sweden anymore.  Kids learn English quite early
in school, 50% of the stuff on tv is in English etc.  I'd say it would be a
lot more worthwile improving our set of English documentation instead.

There are several areas where we need help if you'd like to start
contributing to the doc project, for a list check out the DocIdeaList on the
FreeBSD wiki - http://wiki.freebsd.org.

Btw, there's an irc channel on EFNet for Swedish FreeBSD users,
#freebsd.se (in case you haven't seen it).

--
Joel