Additional rc.conf example for: 31.6 Link Aggregation and Failover

Erik Schwartz schwartz.erik.c at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 22:50:50 UTC 2011

Hello again, Ben,

On 8/4/11 3:33 PM, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2011, Erik Schwartz wrote:
>
>> Handbook section "31.6 Link Aggregation and Failover" is well-written
>> and helpful, but (IMO) suffers from a deficiency of useful rc.conf
>> examples. It currently contains only one, and the one it contains is an
>> (again, IMO) unusual use case.
>>
>> May I provide a second, working rc.conf example? If so, what are the
>> steps to do so?
>
> We actually just got a PR a few days ago from someone who had trouble
> with the LACP case and would probably have benefitted from another example.
> (This is http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=docs/159374 )

The person who submitted that PR seems to have had an experience very
similar to mine. FWIW, I noticed in that PR you asked:

  > Is the "up" really necessary for ifconfig_lagg0, here? <

>From my own testing on FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p2, the answer is "yes".

> If you're willing to provide a patch for another example, or even just
> the example itself, that would be useful.  Email to this list is
> probably sufficient for submitting the example; if you want to learn how
> to submit a nicely formatted patch that makes our life a bit easier,
> http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/ is a starting point for links.

I apologize, but I ran into some issues with this (%make lint --
throwing errors about documents I did not change, and I have not been
able to resolve). So I am taking the crude approach and attaching a diff
of the .old and my (proposed) update to the SGML.

The change was just a few lines. It seems unlikely that I introduced a
new, syntactical problem with the SGML, but - again - I wasn't able to
verify that with %make lint.

> I'm pretty overworked for the next week or two, but if it hasn't been
> patchified by someone else by then, I'll come back and take a look.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben Kaduk

Thanks for your reply, and I appreciate you taking the time to review my
change.

Best regards -

--
Erik Schwartz <schwartz.erik.c at gmail.com> | GPG key 6F4A13EF