docs/156271: mergemaster doesn't support -a and -i flags together

Fedor Dikarev fedor.dikarev at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 10:30:12 UTC 2011

>Number:         156271
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       mergemaster doesn't support -a and -i flags together
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
 I've upgraded kernel on freebsd and have got some problem installing world with mergemaster:

fe:test-backend{R}[20] ~$ head -n 63 /usr/src/Makefile | tail -n 6
# 6. `mergemaster -p'
# 7. `make installworld'
# 8. `make delete-old'
# 9. `mergemaster' (you may wish to use -U or -ai).
# 10. `reboot'
# 11. `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)

If I'm trying -ai options:

fe:test-backend{R}[21] ~$ mergemaster -ai

*** You have included the -a option along with one or more options
that indicate that you wish mergemaster to actually make updates
(-F, -U, or -i), however these options are not compatible.
Please read mergemaster(8) for more information.

And I've checked man 8 mergemaster:

fe:test-backend{R}[22] ~$ man 8 mergemaster

-a Run automatically. This option will leave all the files that
differ from the installed versions in the temporary directory
to be dealt with by hand. If the temproot directory exists,
it creates a new one in a previously non-existent directory.
This option unsets the verbose flag, and is not compatible
with -i, -F, or -U. Setting -a makes -w superfluous.

Should somebody change /usr/src/Makefile accordingly or I've misunderstood something?