A little correction for 10.1 of the FreeBSD faq

dieter at schoen.or.at dieter at schoen.or.at
Thu Sep 30 07:37:58 UTC 2010

hi,

First, I am a very beginner at FreeBSD.
I found a little incorrectness in the FAQ.

10.1 contains an example how to enable a service:

    # echo named_enable="YES" >> /etc/rc.conf

In this form the quotes will be eaten by the shell and will not make
it into the rc.conf file.
Something like

    # echo 'named_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf

would work.

Nevertheless, it also works without the quotes. But as quotes are used
in all the other entries, it would also be good practise to add them
in this example.

I do not know whether this is the right address to tell, but I am
fascinated by BSD. I have long suffered with the horror of Windows
and the chaos of Linux, but learning to know FreeBSD feels like coming
home.

kind regards,
Dieter