expired PGP keys in handbook

dougb at freebsd.org dougb at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 9 23:01:43 UTC 2010

On 9/8/2010 11:05 AM, Tilman Keskinöz wrote:
> Hello doc people
>
> While updating my expired PGP key, i noticed i am not the only one:
>
> grep "expires: 200" doc/share/pgpkeys/* | grep -v sub | wc -l
>        11
>
> Maybe those committers that are still active should be poked to update
> their keys.

The best way to approach this is to poke people on an individual basis.
I do this from time to time, but try not to do it so often as to be
*overwhelmingly* annoying. :)  Perhaps if I was not the only one doing
it people would begin to see that this is an important area to keep up
to date.

OTOH, there is sometimes a valid reason to keep an expired key in the
project keyring if that key has signed things in the past that we want
to be able to easily verify signatures for in the future.

OTOOH, there is hardly ever a good reason to set an expiration date for
a key, and most people would be better served simply removing the expiry
and pushing out the updated key. :)

Doug

			-- Propellerheads