rc.d/rc.subr support for multiple FIBs

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 22:53:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Steve Polyack <korvus at comcast.net> wrote:
> With multiple FIB support generally available in FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE it
> would be quite beneficial to have the ability to build routing tables in
> secondary FIBs as well as start certain applications in certain FIBs from
> within rc.conf(5).
>
> I've done some poking around and came across two PRs which implement exactly
> what I'm looking for:
>
> My question is whether there are any plans to commit these into -CURRENT and
> possibly MFC them to a future 8.x-RELEASE.  Having multiple FIBs available
> has been great so far, it goes hand and hand with Multi-IP Jails.  The only
> thing missing are native methods for constructing the routing tables on boot
> (Yes, there is rc.local, but I don't want to go there...).
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Polyack

I too would love to see this integrated; I've hacked together my own
set of rc scripts (elegant in no way) to accomplish something similar
on my systems.

Also, general documentation regarding multiple FIBs (if that's what
they are to be referred to as) in the official docs would be cool --
I'm not knowledgeable enough to do it myself (although I'm a pretty
decent hand at "Documentation Testing" :)

-Brandon