docs/147347: Missing memstick install setup instructions in Handbook

Luke lukek at linux.ca
Thu Jun 3 01:20:04 UTC 2010

>Number:         147347
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Missing memstick install setup instructions in Handbook
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I am trying to install a fresh 8-RELEASE using the memstick.iso but unsure how to actually put it on the USB stick. Did some digging in the forums and found some helpful info. Wondering if this info could be added to the handy-dandy handbook?

>How-To-Repeat:
na
>Fix:
probable places to update might be as follows:
2.3.6
Under "Local Media", could add "USB memstick" tot he list of possible install media.

2.3.7
This section could maybe explain how to 'dd' the USB memstick image in preparation for boot/install.
Specifically the following command (Not sure if this is the best way):
dd if=/dev/md0 of=/dev/da0 bs=1m