cdrecord and burning disks on FreeBSD with filesize over 4GB

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 16 14:44:24 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 01:13:18PM +0000, CeDeROM wrote:
> Hello world!
>
> I have a remark regarding the DVD/BluRay recording, as described in
> the Handbook, that it currently requires cdrtools-devel package first
> installed instead of cdrtools, to be able to create filesystem image
> that supports >4GB per-file-size. Current cdrtools package was
> released in September 2004 and is outdated as hell, it does not
> support "-iso-level 3" switch, so it propagates problems to all
> related recording software like dvd+rw-utils, brasero, k3b, dvdtk,
> etc...
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html
>
> Please take a look at comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc / cdrkit vs.
> dvd+rw-tools and the dvd iso 4gb max filesize problem
>
> The author of the cdrtools suite is involved in the discussion and he
> declares a new release soon, so the problem might be solved, however I
> think that it is good idea to add this information about
> cdrtools-devel package into Handbook documentation, in case of future
> troubles with cdrtools releases.

We can add a note to the Handbook but it'd a better idea to have the fix in
default cdrtools port, I mean the one used by all burning applications.

I let marius@ (the port maintainer) choosing the best solution.

--
Marc