An SVG version of the FreeBSD logo

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 14:30:00 UTC 2009

Robert Andersson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The SVG version of the FreeBSD logo does not seem to render properly in
> any software I have tried. Looking at it, it seems that is uses a bunch
> of Adobe-specific extensions to SVG. This leads me to assume that it
> will only work with Adobe's products.
>
> Using Inkscape, I have made an attempt at transforming the file into
> something that at least renders properly in Inkscape 0.46. Sadly,
> neither Opera 10 nor Firefox 3.5 seems to render it correctly. I
> don't know if that is because the file or the browsers don't follow
> the SVG specification. Anyways, the file can be found here:
>
> http://streambag.se/files/freebsdlogo.svg
>
> One of the blend modes used in the original (soft light) does not have
> an equivalent in SVG. I have made an attempt to work around that fact by
> using SVG filters and the formula found here:
>
> http://www.pegtop.net/delphi/articles/blendmodes/softlight.htm
>
> The new version has a couple of other advantages over the original:
>
> * In the original SVG, the blurred areas were actually rendered images,
>   making it look bad when zoomed in. I don't know if the AI version
>   suffers from this problem or if the AI to SVG conversion introduced
>   this problem. In this version, all blurred areas are vector objects
>   with a blur filter.
>
> * The text in the original version looks really bad when zoomed in.
>   Paths don't align correctly and there are a lot of discontinuities.
>   That has been fixed in this version.
>
> The file is hosted on my private broadband connection, so if someone
> finds the file useful it should probably be moved to a safer place. :)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Robert

Fantastic! This is very useful work Robert, thanks!
Up until now, I was using png / jpg versions of the logo when creating
things like DVD artwork and flyers.
I am sure many others here have done the same - most people don't own
any Adobe products, and as you noted the logo uses Adobe's extensions
and renders badly in Inkscape.

Thanks to your version we can now create much higher quality artwork.
I've uploaded the file here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~manolis/freebsdlogo.svg

so that everyone can get it easily.
Maybe we could even include  it  in the artwork page
(http://www.freebsd.org/art.html) it seems we don't have any banners or
anything with the logo there.