[RFC] [patch] Clang section for Porters Handbook

Rene Ladan rene at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 17 12:03:30 UTC 2009

2009/11/17 Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com>:
> Looks nice.  Here are some ideas.
>
>>       <para>A future version of &os; will likely have the Clang C/C++
>>         compiler as its base compiler.  Some modifications to the Ports
>>         Collection are necessary.  In general, these are <quote>write proper
>
> To me, this last sentence is worded a little awkwardly (partly because
> of the tense).  How about:
>
>  In general, these involve <quote>generalizing the port</quote> and
>  <quote>making the source code portable</quote>.

This indeeds sounds better.

>>             so existing occurences have to be removed.  No concensus has yet
>
>  consensus

aspell also found 'occurrences', I should have spell checked it earlier ...

>>           <para>The maximum useable optimization level is 3.  Level 4 is
>
>  usable (don't feel bad, I had to look it up)
>
>>       <para>Some temporary hacks that might be used if all else fails:</para>
>
> I'm almost wondering if the c89 hack might be moved to here, but I'm not sure.

Isn't this more like a flag to be able to compile old code?  In this
case the c89 flag
is not  a hack, given that the code is following the standard (here gnu89).

See p4 revision 170700

Regards,
Rene