[RFC] A Handbook Section on Updating the Documentation Set

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 07:36:00 UTC 2009

Frank Shute wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 09:24:25PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>>> Hi Giorgos,
>>>
>>> If you remember, you asked me if I could get the page I wrote about
>>> using csup to update the docs:
>>>
>>> http://www.shute.org.uk/misc/freebsd_uptodate.html
>>>
>>> into some sort of state to be incorporated into the updating section
>>> of the handbook.
>>>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> "Yes", and if you can review the existing patch by Gabor Pali :)
>>

> I've had a look at the patch and I like it. I wish it had existed in
> the docs before!
>
> A niggle though:
>
> Are the docs going to start using s/cvsup/csup/?  ATM, there's only a
> note in "A.6 Using CVSup" about using csup instead of cvsup; but the
> chapter on installing ports uses csup. It's all a bit inconsistent.

There is a note in the synopsis of the 'Updating and Upgrading FreeBSD'
chapter that cvsup may be substituted by csup in the chapter's
instructions. Currently, cvsup has a "cvs mode" used to replicate entire
repositories (and not simply performing a checkout as csup does). This
is mostly used by developers though, and most handbook instructions use
cvsup exactly like csup.
AFAIK, there is an effort to introduce this functionality in csup too.
CVSup will then become redundant. Until then it will unfortunately keep
causing confusion to lots of people.