docs/141937: [handbook] FreeBSD Handbook on Apache/PHP needs updating

sat at FreeBSD.org sat at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 26 07:26:41 UTC 2009

Synopsis: [handbook] FreeBSD Handbook on Apache/PHP needs updating

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: sat
State-Changed-When: Sat Dec 26 07:16:08 UTC 2009
State-Changed-Why:
Igor, thanks for your report!

The Handbook section deals with Apache 1.3.x, as is explicitly stated
in the overview. The version is still widely used.

As for the port specification in VirtualHost directive, the Apache
manual gives its examples without it and explains that "it defaults to
the same port as the most recent Port statement of the main server". To
match all ports on all addresses, I think we would need to specify
"*:*".
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/core.html#virtualhost

As for the the way PHP is enabled, the IfModule wrapper is a
convenience, since it allows to disable all PHP-related configuration
by commenting just one line. The AddType statements are the
recommended way to enable PHP in Apache 1.3.x:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.unix.apache.php