docs/123400: gvinum startup in handbook

Jed Clear clear at netaxs.com
Sun May 4 18:10:01 UTC 2008

>Number:         123400
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       gvinum startup in handbook
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
To decomission my last 4.11R machine I needed to figure out how to bring over my non-root vinum volumes to gvinum.  Turned out to be much easier than I thought it would be, except for I couldn't get gvinum to start at boot time.  Manually it started flawlessly.  After more searching than I'm used to with FreeBSD, I found the the loader.conf knob.

The reason for the PR is that the critical bit for boot time starting of gvinum is only listed in the handbook in chapter "20.9 Using Vinum for the Root Filesystem", a chapter I thought I had no need to read since I wasn't dealing with the root filesystem.  Chapter 20.8, which was the one I was looking at, does have a section on automatic startup, but only refers to the old vinum rc.conf setting.

>How-To-Repeat:
Ignore the handbook chapter on vinum root filesystems when not dealing with root filesystems.
>Fix:
At a minimum the 20.9.1 paragraphs on gvinum startup need to be copied to 20.8.1.1.

There is probably some more work that could be done to segregate what is 4.x vinum and 5+ gvinum, but the above seems the most important "fix".