The LINK Homeschool Conference 2008 Issue 6

The Link Homeschool Newspaper TheLinkHomeschoolNewspaper at mail93.subscribermail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:24:24 UTC 2008

http://archives.subscribermail.com/msg/a65a36d5afe24e4a8e3ef53c33025f7a.htm

Visit our site at http://www.homeschoolnewslink.com

In this issue:
> Menu Coupons
> Side Column Sponsors
> Menu Buttons
> 2008 Conference Speakers

> 2008 Conference Speakers - Nick Brosco & Lennon Leppert

> Nick Brosco

> Lennon Leppert

> Location and Date

> Conference Sponsor Spotlight: Creekbed Technology

> Conference Raffle Prize - Costa Rica 10-day tour for two!

> Bicycle Raffle

> Conference Raffle! - Flying Point Press!

> Win an AllStar Machine! From Ellison Machines

> Thank You to Our Vendors

> Support Our Conference Vendors

> Footer

____________________MENU COUPONS__________________
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

http://www.californiahomeschoolconference.com/

________________SIDE COLUMN SPONSORS______________
CONFERENCE SPONSORS
(HTTP://WWW.CALIFORNIAHOMESCHOOLCONFERENCE.COM/SPONSORS.ASPX)

Conference Sponsors

CANON PRESS

AVKO

ART INSTRUCTION SCHOOL

CUPRIDENT

 (http://www.cuprident.com)

 (http://www.cuprident.com)

LAWRENCE TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY

BRAIN BALANCE

CONFERENCE VENDORS
(HTTP://WWW.CALIFORNIAHOMESCHOOLCONFERENCE.COM/SPONSORS.ASPX)

Conference Vendors

AH-HA VOCABULARY

THE DRAMA GAME FILE

LIVELY LATIN

ACE: ACCELERATED CHRISTIAN EDUCATION

MONEY SAVVY

WHOLE MOVEMENT

USBORNE BOOKS BY JILL

BURTON DIGITAL BOOKS

GAMES BY BEA

HOMESCHOOL ART VIDEOS

EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION

THE APPRENTICE DOCTOR (HTTP://WWW.THEAPPRENTICEDOCTOR.COM)

The Apprentice Doctor

EMPOWER WRITER

CREEKBED TECHNOLOGY

MARSH CREEK PRESS

KEEP WATCHING

____________________MENU BUTTONS__________________
GARAGE SALE C1.0

http://www.californiahomeschoolconference.com/pdfs/2008-garage-sale.pdf

VENDORS C:2

http://www.californiahomeschoolconference.com/sponsors.aspx

RAFFLE PRIZES

http://www.californiahomeschoolconference.com/raffle.aspx

TALENT SHOW C1.0

http://www.californiahomeschoolconference.com/pdfs/2008-talent-show.pdf

2008 CONFERENCE SPEAKERS

http://www.californiahomeschoolconference.com/workshops.aspx

2008 CONFERENCE SPEAKERS - NICK BROSCO & LENNON LEPPERT

Children's Workshop:  "Making Your Own Video"

This three part hands on filming experience will provide excitement
for
all.  Making a film may seem
overwhelming, however with the guidance of Lennon Leppert and Nick
Brosco that myth will be destroyed.  The two film makers will
cover the
art of preparing for, shooting and editing your very own film.
In
addition, they will touch on screenplay writing, directing and
equipment choices.  Francis Ford Coppola, eat your heart out.
Making Your Own Video Workshop
(http://www.californiahomeschoolconference.com/allkid.aspx)

NICK BROSCO

Nick Brosco (http://www.blueedgemedia.net)

Nick Brosco was homeschooled all of his life. He has been shooting
and editing digital video for the past five years. His company, Blue
Edge Media, has produced wedding and event video, corporate video,
and photo montages, as well as having provided DVD authoring and
post-production editing services. See Nick's website at
www.blueedgemedia.net (http://www.blueedgemedia.net)

LENNON LEPPERT

Lennon Leppert (http://www.framemusic.net)

Lennon Leppert, 20 years old, is the graphic artist for The Link
Newspaper. He was homeschooled all of his life. He is active in
digital photography and in editing digital video and post-production.
He is well versed in the Adobe line of products including Photoshop,
Premiere, After Effects and Flash, and he has in-depth knowledge of
Mac-based video-editing programs such as Final Cut Pro. See
Lennon's website at www.framemusic.net (http://www.framemusic.net)

LOCATION AND DATE

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/laxag-renaissance-agoura-hills-hotel/

CONFERENCE SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT: CREEKBED TECHNOLOGY

 In the past, homeschooling families could not take advantage of the
discounts available to schools and other groups. But Creekbed
Technology Inc., a major computer supplier for private high schools,
colleges, and universities in Southern California, brings their
savings and expertise to homeschoolers everywhere!

Even though you might only have a couple of students in your house,
you can now get the volume discount and educational pricing because
you are a subscriber to The LINK!

Manufacturers will offer larger discounts for larger volumes and we
have arranged with Lenovo, to provide you with greater discounts than
are normally available.  They are also offering discounted
accessories, which you can find on our website when you go to order.
You can purchase these products and more at www.creekbedtech.com
(http://www.creekbedtech.com) under The LINK.

Dear Home Schoolers,

Creekbed Technology Inc. is a major computer supplier for private
high schools, colleges, and universities in Southern California and
now we bring that savings and expertise to you!  Even though you
might only have a couple students in your house, you can now get the
volume discount and educational pricing because you belong to The
LINK.  Since a manufacturer will give larger discounts for larger
volumes, we have arranged with Lenovo the opportunity to give you
greater discounts than are normally available.  They are also
offering discounted accessories you can find on our website when you
go to order. You can purchase these products and more at
www.creekbedtech.com (http://www.creekbedtech.com) under The LINK.

(Regular Price is $1722, Low web price is $1447)
Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2gHz, 1GB, 120GB, 15.4” WSXGA+, DVD-RW Dual
     Layer, Intel High Definition Audio,
802.11a/b/g wireless, Vista Business, 3   year warranty.
64574XU (Gaming)

ThinkPad T61 at $1514 (Regular price is $1882, Low web price is
$1541) Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2gHz, 2GB, 100GB, 15.4”WXGA+, DVD-RW
Dual Layer, Intel  High Definition Audio, 802.11a/b/g wireless,
Vista Ultimate, 3 year warranty. 64576DU (Gaming)

ThinkPad R61 at $845 (Regular Price is 988, Low web price is $845)
Celeron 1.86, 1GB RAM, 80GB, DVD/CD-RW, 15.4” WXGA, Intel
High Definition Audio, 802.11/g wireless, Vista Business, 3 year
warranty 8933B7U

ThinkPad R61 at $1027 (Regular price is $1268, Low web price is
$1078)
Core 2 Duo 2.0 gHz T7300, 1GB, 80GB, DVD/CD-RW, 14”WXGA,
Intel  High Definition Audio, 802.11/g wireless, Vista Business,
3 year warranty  773311U

ThinkPad R61 at $1244 (Regular price is $1533, Low web price is
$1320)
Core 2 Duo 2.2gHz T7500, 1GB, 120GB, DVD-RW/CD-RW, Intel  High
Definition Audio, 14”WXGA+ with webcam, 802.11/g wireless,
Vista Business 3 year warranty 774303U (Gaming)

ThinkPad X61t at $1659 (Regular price is $2237.  Low web price
is $1853)
Intel Core 2 Duo T7800 1.83 gHz, 2GB, 100GB, 12.1” WVA XGA
Tablet, Intel High Definition Audio, 802.11/g wireless, Vista
Business 3 year warranty 7762H7U

Microsoft Office Standard 2007—Retail Package at $137 Regular
price $399.97
This package includes:
MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook, License and CD-Media

Why Lenovo?

1. Lenovo/IBM is a leader in advanced laptop technology.  Lenovo
was the first company in the world to win the label
“environmentally friendly—GOLD STATUS” monitor and
desktop by EPEAT, the primary organization that evaluates computers
and electronics.
2. Lenovo is the only laptop approved for space flight by NASA.
This is not a backup computer, but these laptops play critical roles
in the space program.
3. Lenovo is also has many “firsts” in bringing to the
market place technology that we all now consider standard, such as
DVD ROM, finger print readers etc.
4. While we will gladly service these laptops for you as an
authorized service center, you can have your laptop serviced anywhere
in the U.S. at any authorized location.
Why these laptops specifically?
1. These are business class models.  If you go to Best Buy or
Circuit City to buy a laptop you get a retail laptop.  They come
with one year warranty and have no durability features as the
business class models do.  So if your laptop breaks down after a
year and a half, you have to either spend large quantities of money
to fix it or buy a new one.  Our experience is a high percentage
of computers that come in to our shop for fixing are retail models.
Rarely do we see business class models.
2. Business class laptops such as Lenovo is offering here, cost a
little more but they come with a three year warranty, and many
durability features such as a spill proof keyboard (look at the
keyboard drain holes on the bottom of the notebook.  Liquid goes
right through and doesn’t even enter the computer), an
accelerometer which detects when a laptop is being dropped and lifts
the needle off the hard drive to protect it, crumple zones,
“roll cage”, and shock mounted hard drives.  These
ThinkPad models are also quieter and cooler than the competition by
design.
3. Lenovo failure rates are some of the lowest in the industry.
The computer industry as a whole has lowered the need for service on
laptops but Lenovo is 33% lower than the industry average and has
reduced the service needs for laptops by 9% in the last two years
alone.
Why only Lenovo offered instead of other name brands?
1. Volume equals discount.  The manufacturers all look for ways
to increase their volume.  The more you buy the more discounted
pricing they will offer.  The wider variety of computers we
offer the fewer each manufacturer sells to your organization so the
smaller discounts they will give.
2. Lenovo believes in your home school network and see big
possibilities.  They are the first to step up and offer
substantial discounts to you.  Lenovo is offering large
discounts for a new market they have not yet touched.

Creekbed Technology Inc is an Authorized Service Center for Lenovo,
Sony, and Toshiba as well as an Authorized Educational Reseller for
Microsoft Corporation.

You can purchase these products and more at www.creekbedtech.com
(http://www.creekbedtech.com)

 (http://www.creekbedtech.com)

REGISTER

http://www.californiahomeschoolconference.com/

CONFERENCE RAFFLE PRIZE - COSTA RICA 10-DAY TOUR FOR TWO!

Caravan Tours (http://www.caravantours.com)

Day 1 - San José, Costa Rica

Welcome to the "rich coast," friendly land of democracy and
rare natural beauty. With naturalist guides, see exotic birds and
wildlife, hike in jungle rainforests, view volcanoes, soak in hot
springs and cruise through biological reserves. Relax on both the
Atlantic and Pacific coasts. Caravan provides transfers from the San
José airport to your hotel for a two night stay. Rooms are
available for check in after 3:00 p.m. Dine at your hotel, then join
Caravan for an 8:00 p.m. welcome briefing.

Day 2 - Poás Volcano, San José City Tour
After breakfast, see the statue of the drummer boy, Costa Rica's
hero. Next, weather permitting, visit Poás Volcano, dormant
since 1991. You can safely view this dramatic mile-wide crater from
an overlook. Enjoy lunch. Next, see San José's Plaza de la
Cultura, Central Park and the National Theatre. Visit the National
Museum (on Mondays, visit the Gold Museum instead). Enjoy dinner.

Day 3 - Rainforest Aerial Tram
Scenic morning drive through Braulio Carrillo Park. Look for
cascading waterfalls. Then, a thrilling adventure into the heart of
the rainforest. Glide through the jungle canopy on the world famous
rainforest aerial tram, rated one of Costa Rica's top tourist
attractions. Next, with a naturalist guide, enjoy a short rainforest
hike on level terrain. Enjoy lunch. Visit a butterfly garden. Then,
cruise through rivers and canals to the 47,000 acre Tortuguero
National Park. Tortuguero is home to more than 300 species of birds.
Look for toucans, parrots, kingfishers and the rare green macaw.
Enjoy a two night stay at your lodge. After dinner in Tortuguero, a
naturalist talks about the rainforest.

Day 4 - Tortuguero Park, Canal Cruise
Cruise this morning with naturalist guides along canals lined by
raffia palm, habitat of howler and white-faced monkeys, green iguanas
and tropical birds. Look for white and snowy egrets and the amazing
nests of the montezuma oropendola. Then, enter the mysterious
reflecting waters of Caño Palma wildlife reserve. Next, visit
the Green Turtle Research Station. Learn about efforts to protect the
turtle's nesting habitat, eggs and young hatchlings. Walk along
the Atlantic turtle nesting beaches with a naturalist guide. Next, to
Tortuguero village. Meet Costa Rican school children on your visit to
a local school (when in session). Return to your lodge for lunch.
Free time to enjoy your lodge's swimming pool and tropical flower
gardens. Enjoy an afternoon boat excursion into Tortuguero Park. Look
for otters, turtles and manatees. Dinner.

Day 5 - San Carlos Valley, Fortuna
Morning cruise on Tortuguero River. See a banana plantation. Lunch,
then a brief stop at Selva Verde Rainforest Reserve. Here you can
walk the nearly 300 foot long suspension bridge over a jungle river.
Next, through scenic countryside to the San Carlos Valley for a two
night stay in Fortuna. Dinner.

Day 6 - Caño Negro, Hot Springs, Arenal
Head north this morning, passing through sugar cane, teak and orange
plantations. Then, cruise on the Rio Frio which runs through the
world famous Caño Negro wildlife refuge, home to many
migratory birds found nowhere else in Costa Rica. Look for whistling
ducks, roseate spoonbills, cormorants, anhingas, blue heron, and
northern jacanas. Watch for caimans, crocodiles, spider monkeys and
web-footed, water-walking lizards. Lunch. Return to Fortuna. Free
time to explore this charming village. Then, enjoy a relaxing soak in
the volcanic hot springs. Weather permitting, see nearby Arenal
Volcano's softly glowing lava flow. Enjoy dinner.

Day 7 - Cloud Forest Hike, Central Pacific Coast
This morning, drive by the Children's Eternal Rainforest, part of
the Monteverde cloud forest region. The Children's Rainforest was
purchased with donations from school children around the world to be
preserved forever. Next, enter a cloud forest reserve, home to
epiphytes, orchids, ferns and tropical birds, for a guided walk.
Cloud forests are like rainforests, but with less rain and more
humidity. Look for many species of hummingbirds in the feeding
gallery. Lunch at a cloud forest restaurant. Then, to Costa
Rica's Central Pacific Coast for a two night stay. Dinner is at
your resort.

Day 8 - Pacific Coast, Manuel Antonio
This morning drive by the Carara Biological Reserve. This tropical
bird and wildlife sanctuary is one of the world's few nesting
places for the scarlet macaw. Then, visit Manuel Antonio, Costa
Rica's most beautiful park. Time to beachcomb or swim at the
three pristine beaches, rated among the top ten in the world. Easy
hiking trails wind along the shore, home to one of the last natural
habitats of the playful rare squirrel monkey. Lunch. Return to your
resort to enjoy leisure time. Dinner.

Day 9 - Sarchi, Coffee Plantation
Morning visit to Sarchi. See the painted ox carts and colorful
handicrafts. Enjoy lunch. Next, see the metallic church of Grecia.
Then, visit a coffee plantation. Pick a few beans when in season.
Sample fresh Costa Rican coffee and learn about the history of the
coffee bean. Return to San José. Farewell dinner.

Day 10 - San José
Your tour ends after breakfast this morning at your hotel. Caravan
provides transfers throughout the day to the San José airport.
Thanks for vacationing with Caravan. ¡Hasta la vista!

BICYCLE RAFFLE

Register Now for Your Chance to Win Two Bicycles!
http://www.californiahomeschoolconference.com/

CONFERENCE RAFFLE! - FLYING POINT PRESS!

Flying Point Press (http://www.flyingpointpress.com) will be donating
a set of their books for young readers for the conference raffle this
year!
Flying Point Press (http://www.flyingpointpress.com) is a book
packaging company focused on
narrative nonfiction and historic fiction for readers ages ten to
fifteen. They believe that books for young readers should be full of
action and adventure, with real-life characters that are bold,
active, and heroic.
About the raffle
Each year we hold a conference raffle. This year's will be during
the Saturday night dance, while the band takes its breaks (If you
cannot be present, you can give your ticket to a friend who is
present). The tickets are only $1 each and each registered conference
attendee receives one in his/her Registration Packet - just for
registering!  Additional tickets will be available to purchase at the
conference.
Look in future Conference E-newsletters, for updates on the excellent
prizes that our sponsors donate to the raffle. To date, our prizes
are: (1) Two fantastic die-cutting machines donated by Ellison
(http://www.ellison.com); (2) A set of books from Flying Point Press
(http://www.flyingpointpress.com); (3) A 10-day tour to Costa Rica
for two from Caravan Tours (http://www.caravantours.com); (4)
and Two bikes. We are awaiting confirmation on many more great
prizes, so please check future Conference Newsletters. The proceeds
from the sales of raffle tickets go toward our Conference
Scholarships.

WIN AN ALLSTAR MACHINE! FROM ELLISON MACHINES

The Ellison AllStar Machine performs as your most dependable helper.
This lightweight and child-friendly addition to the classroom cuts a
wide variety of materials with its own exclusive line of dies for use
only in the AllStar Machine. For even more creative possibilities,
all Sizzix Originals Dies will work in the AllStar Machine.  To
facilitate easy cutting, each AllStar Die features special alignment
marks on its top for quick cutting guidelines and everytime cutting
perfection. Added security features include locking handle to
safeguard machine from unwanted usage (locked position indicated by
red color) and is UL Listed. Space-efficient drawer packs plenty of
space for Cutting Pad, Shims and Instruction Booklet (included with
purchase of AllStar Machine).

Click here to learn more

THANK YOU TO OUR VENDORS

Thank you for our vendors

SUPPORT OUR CONFERENCE VENDORS

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Copyright ©2008 by Modern Media. No part of the publication can
be reproduced without the express written permission of Modern Media.

Unsubscribe or update your email address.
http://app.subscribermail.com/unsub.cfm?tempid=a65a36d5afe24e4a8e3ef53c33025f7a&mailId=4346707d12904aee9843e5ce4695fe78

Send this mail to your friend.
http://app.subscribermail.com/send_friend.cfm?template=a65a36d5afe24e4a8e3ef53c33025f7a&mailid=4346707d12904aee9843e5ce4695fe78