wiki.freebsd.org

Andrew daeron at optushome.com.au
Wed Jun 18 17:41:48 UTC 2008

Hi,

  Who is running the server at wiki.freebsd.org ?

  I was looking at something two days ago and half an hour ago I went to
refresh the page -
 - their server responds

"Warning:
You triggered the wiki's surge protection by doing too many requests in a
short time.
Please make a short break reading the stuff you already got.
When you restart doing requests AFTER that, slow down or you might get locked
out for a longer time!"

- - I think one request in two days should not trigger their "wiki's surge
protection"

- - They of course then refuse any connection so it is impossible to find out
if they have an email contact.

- I know about four years ago Wikipedia once did this, they had failed to
realise that come carriers (yes carriers, not just an ISP) decide to
implement a transparent proxy - - the result is the Wiki was blocking people
because one of the other 2.5 million Australian users of the Optus network
was also trying to access the wiki at the same time causing their wiki
software to decide there were too many requests coming from this one server
handling millions of customers.