Language support in jadetex?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 18 12:31:04 UTC 2008

> A good way to start making changes to support Greek would be to:
>
>   * Make sure that jadetex adds the two preamble commands shown above:
>
>       \usepackage[english,greek]{babel}
>       \usepackage[iso-8859-7]{inputenc}
>
>   * Find a way to 'filter' the text and replace non-command sequences of
>     English text with `\selectlanguage{english} ... \selectlanguage{greek}'.

An alternative, would be to preprocess the ISO 8859-7 text at build
time, replacing ISO 8859-7 Greek text with latin characters, and avoid
using the {inputenc} package with the [iso-8859-7] option.

This way, if we can find a way to filter text, replacing Greek like this:

        καλημέρα -> kalhm'era

Then it may be easier to do the filtering, because it's far easier to
detect ISO 8859-7 Greek bytes in a stream of text, instead of trying to
understand what is English text vs. TeX command input.

This may actually work better, now that I think a little more about it :)