Wiki style FAQ proposal

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 1 18:27:37 UTC 2008

Manolis Kiagias wrote:

> Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
>> On 2008.05.27 23:24:36 +0300, Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>>

>>> - Create a wiki style FAQ (while still maintaining the current
>>> version of the FAQ) with a possible future plan to limit the original
>>> SGML FAQ to questions related to the way the Project works, rather
>>> than technical stuff.
>>>

>> Hey,
>>
>> The FAQ is in sad state, so in generally I'm happy to see work on
>> fixing that, but...
>>
>> Do note that the current FreeBSD wiki (wiki.freebsd.org) has limited
>> access so only committers and known contributors have access to edit
>> pages, and there are no current plans to change this policy - it's
>> simply too much work to maintain with an more open policy.  The
>> alternative is of course to have some separate setup for the FAQ, but
>> the bar for getting new official FreeBSD.org sites etc. is high mainly
>> due to the extra administration required.  E.g. the wiki ran several
>> years unofficially before it got a real FreeBSD.org name.
>>
>> I don't want to discourage people coming up with new ideas - but do
>> note that a lot of work and persistence will be required for getting
>> things like this off the ground.
>>

> Hi
>
> This is more of an experiment at this time, if it is proved to be
> successful, I am sure people will step up and help get it off the
> ground. At the moment,  wiki.freebsd.org will suffice.

Hello,

Personally I do not see a real gain by using the wiki instead of the
sgml files at the moment. Only contributors and committers can modify
the wiki, which they can "Easily" do as well in the regular tree
(ok there is a little higher burden there that only committers can
access that part); but beyond that I think it's not a good idea to
move documentation over to various points. We are strong in centralized
documentation and writing, putting it on a wiki decentralizes that
concept and could have impact on our overall appreciation of the
documentation set (yes a FAQ is needed, no doubt about that but I
personally enfavor the dcvs tree for it).

Thanks,
Remko

--

/"\   Best regards,                      | remko at FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko at EFnet