Wiki style FAQ proposal

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 1 15:44:14 UTC 2008

On 2008.05.27 23:24:36 +0300, Manolis Kiagias wrote:

> - Create a wiki style FAQ (while still maintaining the current version of
> the FAQ) with a possible future plan to limit the original SGML FAQ to
> questions related to the way the Project works, rather than technical
> stuff.

Hey,

The FAQ is in sad state, so in generally I'm happy to see work on
fixing that, but...

Do note that the current FreeBSD wiki (wiki.freebsd.org) has limited
access so only committers and known contributors have access to edit
pages, and there are no current plans to change this policy - it's
simply too much work to maintain with an more open policy.  The
alternative is of course to have some separate setup for the FAQ, but
the bar for getting new official FreeBSD.org sites etc. is high mainly
due to the extra administration required.  E.g. the wiki ran several
years unofficially before it got a real FreeBSD.org name.

I don't want to discourage people coming up with new ideas - but do
note that a lot of work and persistence will be required for getting
things like this off the ground.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
Hat: Grumpy old admin for FreeBSD.org in general and the FreeBSD wiki