handbook suggestion

David A. Rogers david.a.rogers at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 19:55:10 UTC 2008

First, let me say that I find FreeBSD to be the best of all the free Unices
-- and it is due to the excellent and practical documentation.

That said, there is an easy way to make FreeBSD easier for the home user.
There are a number of suggestions/methods of doing things in the handbook
that are appropriate for the business user that are not needed or useful for
the home user.

As an example, both the usb drive and scanner sections give instructions for
allowing others besides root to mount/use the respective hardware.  Both
suggestions give advice that restrict the enabling to just one group.  For
home use it would be easier to just allow any user to mount/use hardware.

A sidebar or some such giving alternatives for personal/home users would be
nice.

Thanks,
--dr