Preface need update.

Murray Stokely murray at stokely.org
Mon Dec 15 02:32:09 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Tom Rhodes <trhodes at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Thanks for that!  I definitely slacked here, but I'll keep this
> in mind for the future.  About the updating chapter, I am unable
> to find any information on portsnap in my printed copy of the
> Handbook (third edition).  They could have existed (I see a
> 2006 commit date for freebsd-update in src) but seem to have
> not been documented in the handbook.

Ahh, I see, nothing was moved over from the Cutting Edge chapter.

This chapter has just about the exact same purpose as the new Updating
chapter, they just describe different tools.  The first chapter
Updating, even references the latter chapter (Cutting Edge) as a
pre-requisite in the synopsis by saying one needs to read it to learn
about Mergemaster.

There should only be one updating chapter.  Cutting Edge was there
first, but updating is maybe a better name.

How do you feel about merging them back into one chapter?

> Anyway, how does this patch look to you?:

Everything else looks good, except I don't like that we now have two
chapters for updating instead of one.  I wasn't paying attention when
that happened. =)  Maybe just submit the new item for auditing while
we sort out what to do about updating?

        - Murray