docs/129623: suser(9) claims that the interface is still exported, though deprecated

Ganbold ganbold at micom.mng.net
Sun Dec 14 05:50:04 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR docs/129623; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ganbold <ganbold at micom.mng.net>
To: Ben Kaduk <minimarmot at gmail.com>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/129623: suser(9) claims that the interface is still exported,
 though deprecated
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:01:21 +0800

 Ben Kaduk wrote:
 --
 A person forgives only when they are in the wrong.
 >> Number:         129623
 >> Category:       docs
 >> Synopsis:       suser(9) claims that the interface is still exported, though deprecated
 >> Confidential:   no
 >> Severity:       non-critical
 > MIT SIPB
 >
 >> Environment:
 >>
 > pleonasm# uname -a
 > FreeBSD pleonasm.mit.edu 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #6: Fri Dec 12 18:37:53 UTC 2008     kaduk at pleonasm.mit.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PLEONASM  i386

 > compare the contents of suser(9) and /usr/include/sys/priv.h ...
 > the latter no longer has the definition of the function.
 >
 > It's not clear to me if the man page for suser(9) should just
 > be removed, or retained as a pointer to priv_check(9).
 >
 >> How-To-Repeat:
 >>
 > Try to compile a module that uses suser, and get "No such file or directory" when trying to load it.
 >
 >> Fix:
 >>
 > Remove the suser(9) manpage?

 I don't see suser(9) man page in my CURRENT (FreeBSD devil.micom.mng.net
 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #13 r185928: Thu Dec 11 21:12:36 ULAT
 2008), but I see it in RELENG_7.
 Are you sure that it is in CURRENT not a leftover from RELENG_X?

 thanks,

 Ganbold