Important Omission in FTP Configuration Documentation

Richard Raseley richard at r3portfolio.com
Thu Dec 4 03:55:46 UTC 2008

Documentation Project Owner,

Recently I started my first foray into the world of FreeBSD, thus far I have
been pleasantly surprised, but I have also found a document on your site
that has an important omission.

In this document:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-ftp.html

In section 30.8.2 "Configuration" you list the steps that are required to
get ftpd up and running, however you fail to mention that you also have to
add "ftpd_enable="YES" to your "/etc/rc.conf" file and reboot the server.

Ftpd will not work until you complete this step and it took me hours (being
a n00b) of additional research to figure this out. It would be very helpful
if you included this in your documentation so that others like myself can
find it easily.

Thank you for your continued work, so far (coming from a Windows world) I am
very impressed.

Best Regards,

Richard