[Sort of RFC] Ports and packages for docs

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Tue Dec 2 16:01:08 UTC 2008

On Mon 2008-12-01 09:09:17 UTC+0100, Marc Fonvieille (marc at blackend.org) wrote:

> Currently, it's difficult for the average user to update his docs.
> Most of time, the docs are installed during OS install time and are
> never updated.

This is timely as just recently I upgraded from FreeBSD 6.3-REL to
6.4-REL using freebsd-update.  After the upgrade I ran "freebsd-update
IDS" and discovered I still had the 6.3 docs installed.

>From what I can tell, several months ago I must have deleted all the
non-English docs to free up disk space, but this seems to have meant
that freebsd-update didn't detect that I still had the English docs
installed, so didn't bother to upgrade them.

Having a package for the docs makes a lot of sense.  And there is no
risk in having them outside the FreeBSD base.  The system should still
come up after a reboot even after "pkg_delete -a".

> So just:
>
> pkg_add -r http://people.freebsd.org/~blackend/pkgs/en-freebsd-doc-20081130.tbz
>
> and tell me if you like it :)

Yes, thanks. :)