RFR: A "Boot Time Splash Screens" Section to the Handbook

martinko gamato at users.sf.net
Mon Dec 1 22:19:58 UTC 2008

Gabor PALI wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> A few weeks ago Joseph J. Barbish has contributed a section on boot time
> splash screens for the FreeBSD Handbook [1], and after a short
> discussion it was requested for comments whether to be really included
> it or not [2].  It received a very positive feedback on the topic, so I
> created the SGML version of it, that you can study in form of a patch
> [3] and a compiled HTML page [4].
>
> Please, review, comment and send me your ideas on how to make it better
> (and fix it up).  Obviously, because I am not a native speaker of
> English, it may contain mistakes (I am sure), so review of native
> speakers are the most welcome, however review of avid users of the
> presented boot time splash screen feature are also important for this patch.
>
> Thank you for the replies in advance.
>
> Cheers,
> :g
>

> PS: For your information, after its commit, I plan to rewrite the
> corresponding FAQ entry about splash screens to reference this section
> of the Handbook.
>
> [1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2008-November/014989.html
> [2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2008-November/015007.html
> [3]
> http://people.freebsd.org/~pgj/patches/2008/11/29/splash.screen.section.patch.diff
> [4]
> http://people.freebsd.org/~pgj/patches/2008/11/29/html/boot-blocks.html#BOOT-SPLASH

Hallo Gabor,

As I have already written twice, the last time on 20/11/2008 22:22

--

IIRC even with VESA there's a limit of 1024x768 for boot splash images.

You may want to mention sysutils/bsd-splash-changer port with which you
can have splash image chosen from your collection randomly at each boot.

--

Especially the first one -- have you actually checked the claim that you
can use any size of splash screen image with VESA ?  I checked it,

Cheers,

Martin