mfsroot options are undocumented

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 08:51:43 UTC 2008

Hi,

Recently I have been trying a few different approaches of building live CD's
with FreeBSD (something that is surprisingly easy, especially compared to
other systems).  Something of interest is mounting from a memory filesystem.

The problem is the loader.conf commands appear to be undocumented, from what I
can gather they are:
mfsroot_load="YES"
mfsroot_type="mfs_root"
mfsroot_name="/boot/mfsroot"

I am only able to fine one reference in the system of it (that is in
release/Makefile).  There is a section in the man 4 md pages however that
refers to an md_image and does not say how to load the image using loader...

Also loader.rc is references but there does not appear to be any documentation
on it.

Lastly, there appears to be a duplicate entry of init_script under man 8
loader?

Apologies in advance if I have overlooked something or this email in
inappropriate.  Thank you for the great documentation, it is a life saver and
very thorough. ;-)

Regards

David