docs/116047: bsdlabel(8) manpage doesn't mention 'auto' type for -w

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Mon Sep 3 11:20:16 UTC 2007

>Number:         116047
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       bsdlabel(8) manpage doesn't mention 'auto' type for -w
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD paqi.nimnet.asn.au 5.5-STABLE FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE #0: Sat Mar  3 03:14:13 EST 2007     root at paqi.nimnet.asn.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PAQI5S_3  i386

This applies equally to the 7-CURRENT manpage (footer: FreeBSD 6.2) at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=bsdlabel&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7-current&format=html

bsdlabel(8) fails to mention that type 'auto' may be used instead of not
specifying any type.  mdconfig(8), at least, uses 'bsdlabel -w md0 auto'
in an example, which is why I found it missing.

>  Writing a Standard Label
>     To write a standard label, use the form
>
>     bsdlabel -w [-An] [-m machine] disk [type]
>
>     If the drive type is specified, the entry of that name in the disktab(5)
>     file is used; otherwise a default layout is used.

'auto' is the value adopted if no type is specified anyway.  bsdlabel.c:

        case WRITE:
                if (argc == 2)
                        name = argv[1];
                else if (argc == 1)
                        name = "auto";
                else
                        usage();
                readlabel(0);
                makelabel(name, &lab);

makelabel() then uses type 'auto' to call getvirginlabel() rather than
to getdiskbyname(type) from /etc/disktab

Bit trivial for a first docs PR, but Kris said I should :)

>How-To-Repeat:
man mdconfig   # second last example
man bsdlabel   # search for 'auto'

>Fix:
A proper patch would only be against my 5.5-STABLE (Mar07) but suggested:

      If the drive type is specified, the entry of that name in the disktab(5)
-     file is used; otherwise a default layout is used.

      If the drive type is specified, the entry of that name in the disktab(5)
+     file is used; otherwise - or if specified as 'auto' - a default layout
+     is used.