Documentation Mistake

James Wagner jwagner at hankgraff.com
Fri Oct 19 17:32:33 UTC 2007

Hello

I'm currently browsing through the documentation for FreeBSD because I'm
considering using it for a file/samba/e-mail server.  I find it
interesting, but did find one thing in the documentation that is just
plain wrong.

In the installation notes for the x86 platform at
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/installation-i386.html  there's the
following quote:

"*FIPS* does NOT currently work with NTFS style partitions. To split up
such a partition, you will need a commercial product such as *Partition
Magic*. Sorry, but this is just the breaks if you've got a Windows
partition hogging your whole disk and you don't want to reinstall from
scratch."

I've used a small (~50 meg) Linux LiveCD called gParted many times to
split NTFS partitions.  I've never had a problem using it, it has a nice
pretty graphical interface, and it's 100% free to download and use.  The
LiveCD page is at http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php in case you
want to try it or add a link to it in your install guide.  (I have no
affiliation with this project other than loving it when I need to use it.)

Jim