front page idea

Deb Goodkin deb at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 20 02:24:35 UTC 2007

Hi Murray,

Here's some history for the request. We have a marketing team helping
us, from a company who has benefited from using FreeBSD. They have
offered their services to help us better market ourselves for
fundraising purposes. They looked at the project's website and said it
was confusing on how to donate. They also said there was no correlation
between donating and clicking on the foundation button. A person looking
to donate might not know what the foundation link means.

They had suggested to either add a "Donate to the Foundation" or "Keep
FreeBSD Free" button in a prominent spot on each page of the project.
That would also create a connection between the two entities.
Especially, since our whole mission is to support the project. We are
going to add a section on our website that answers the questions:

Why is FreeBSD free? or
Why do we want to keep FreeBSD free?
Why is this so important?
What happens if FreeBSD isn't free?
What happens if it goes away?

This will then tie into why donate to the foundation. We would love to
have both, the donate button and the foundation link. But, if we had a
choice of only one, I'd choose a donate button that linked to our donate
page.

Thank You,

Deb Goodkin
The FreeBSD Foundation