The search box on www.freebsd.org..

Wolfram Schneider wosch at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 10 21:49:06 UTC 2007

On 5/10/07, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> SUCKS/BLOWS CHUNKS/etc.
>
> Really, it's bad.  I just typed in 'logo' to find the page about logo usage,
> and it returned 0 results, not even http://www.freebsd.org/logo.html.  That's
> exceedingly lame.

You typed an evil query which crashed the search program with signal 11.
('logos' works fine).

The search program was written long time ago in C, a language with
a terrible memory management. You have to spend half of your
development time fixing memory leaks and off-by-one buffer bugs. 15
years ago nobody cared about bad C programming style.

Feel free to debug our search program. I don't have the time myself.

> Its worse than having no search box at all because people
> will try to _use_ it and then get frustrated.  It should either be killed, or
> it should be replaced with something that actually _works_ (probably it
> should make use of Y!, Google, or Rambler.ru something to do the search).

you know how few pages are indexed by google? Usually less than 10-50%
of a web site.

-Wolfram

--
Wolfram Schneider <wosch at FreeBSD.org> http://wolfram.schneider.org