RFC: putting our graphs onto the website

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 1 21:04:10 UTC 2007

Ceri Davies escribió:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 12:44:21PM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:
>

>> At least at this point this argument may have more merit.  The
>> mentor-mentee graphs are cools, but nearly impossible to read (since I
>> don't have a 16k pixel wide monitor :).
>>

> Does adding 'graph [rankdir=LR];' make them any easier to view?  I can't
> decide.

I'm sorry for the late answer, I was pretty busy these days, thus I'll
try to react to all concerns that have come up in this mail.

1, Joseph mentioned the graphs are too wide and too big, thus difficult
to read. Well, I have to agree, we will see if it they get somewhat
better with Ceri's suggestion.

2, Marc wrote he is not happy about adding another dependency to
textproc/docproj. I think making a graphviz-lite port as Brooks
suggested and adding a knob to disable the building of these graphs as
Simon suggested would be a good compromise. As for using another tools
that are already in the docproj port, I have to admit, I don't know them
in depth, thus I don't know how we could generate such. It would be
difficult to convert the existing graphs to a different markup, though.
Besides, I think the output that dot generates suit the style of our
website design very well, particularly if we change that blueish color
to some kind of redish. I haven't tried that so far, though.

3, Someone mentioned that the mentor-mentee graphs are not quite useful.
I agree, but they are cool and lot of us enthuse over they.

I'll send a new patch soon if I have some time.

Regards,
Gabor