Question: Mailing Lists Legal Information

Momchil Ivanov idiotbg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 03:35:17 UTC 2007

Greetings,

I have a strange question that has been bothering mi mind in the past 2 hours
and it`s about legal notices. Nowadays almost everything is digital and there
is usually some copyright/copyleft or whaterver other legal notice assigned
to almost every piece of bits/data (binary programs, source codes, images,
docs, etc...). In this way of thoughts every e-mail should be considered some
kind of intelectual property belonging to its author, shouldn't it?

So I was thinking: should there be some kind of legal notice when subscribing
to a list (respectively sending an e-mail to a list, not being subscribed to)
that says that the author gives exclusive rights to The FreeBSD Foundation to
store (archive) and redistribute (the way mailing lists work) e-mails being
sent to the list?

I have been thinking about this since some people use in their signatures
texts like:
"You should not copy this e-mail or use it for any other purposes or disclose
its contents to any other person."

Correct me if I am thinking complete nonsense, please! Mailing list have been
live for a long time now, but I think nowadays they need subscriber's
permission to redistribute, store and publish subscriber's mails on the web.

Thank you for your time reading this :)

--
This correspondence is strictly confidential. Any screening, filtering
and/or production for the purpose of public or otherwise disclosure is

PGP KeyID: 0x3118168B
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint BB50 2983 0714 36DC D02E  158A E03D 56DA 3118 168B