docs/114272: minor grammar fixes and more to handbook/ports chapter

Ben Kaduk minimarmot at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 15:10:10 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR docs/114272; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Ben Kaduk" <minimarmot at gmail.com>
To: "Marc Fonvieille" <blackend at freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/114272: minor grammar fixes and more to handbook/ports chapter
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 14:37:46 +0000

 On 7/4/07, Marc Fonvieille <blackend at freebsd.org> wrote:
 > On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 11:20:06PM +0000, Ben Kaduk wrote:
 > >
 > > >Number:         114272
 > > >Category:       docs
 > > >Synopsis:       minor grammar fixes and more to handbook/ports chapter
 > > >Confidential:   no
 > > >Severity:       non-critical
 > > I attach a patch (chapter.sgml.diff.txt) with many minor corrections to the ``ports'' handbook chapter, which I will detail here (not necessarily in order).
 > >
 > > o s/third party/third-party/g
 > >
 > > o s/Pentium IV/Pentium 4/  (preferred in at least one place on Intel's website
 > >
 > > o s/compile time/compile/time/g (a priori not a global change, but I checked)
 > >
 > [...]
 >
 > For this one, what is the en_US usage "compile time" or "compile-time"?
 > I cannot find a reliable reference.
 >
 > --
 > Marc

 Hmmm. . .my degrees are not in English, but a bit of thought seems to
 indicate that when used as a compound adjective (compile-time
 behaviour), it should be hyphenated.  There seem to be at least two
 other ways in which this string can appear, such as: "X verbs Y at
 compile time" and "my compile time is very long".
 The latter definitely is not hyphenated, but I'm not sure yet about the other.

 All the appearances in the submitted patch seem to be pretty clearly
 (to me, at least. . .) instances of compound adjectives --
 compile-time options are the options which are set at the time of
 compilation, so compile-time is a compound adjective.

 -Ben Kaduk