List of pf changes

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Tue Jul 3 14:47:03 UTC 2007

Here is a list of significant changes to pf that came in with the import
from OpenBSD 4.1 (taken from the OpenBSD release notes):

3.8

3.9
* ftp-proxy has been rewritten, and a tftp version, tftp-proxy, has been
  added.

4.0
* pf(4) now supports Unicast Reverse Path Forwarding (uRPF) checks for
  simplified ingress filtering.

4.1
* The pflog(4) interface is now clonable. pf(4) can log to multiple pflog
  interfaces now, each rule can specify which pflog interface to log to.
  pflogd(8) can now be told which pflog interface to work with.

* pfctl(8) can now expire table entries.

* keep state is now the default for pf.conf(5) rules, as is the flags S/SA
  option on TCP connections. no state and flags any can be used to disable
  stateful filtering or TCP flags checking.

* The pfctl(8) ruleset optimiser can be enabled in pf.conf(5).

* pf(4) anchors can now be loaded inline in the main pf.conf(5) and can be
  printed recursively.

* Allow pf(4) rules inside anchors to have their counters reset, and make
  counter read & reset an atomic operation.

I'm not sure if we have a good place to document this - thus I'm sending
it here.  I'd be interested in better pf documentation.  Maybe we can use
a wiki page?  Any help greatly appreciated!

--
FreeBSD Status reports due: 07/07/07 :-)

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org